Piperacillin and tazobactam injection helps cure bacterial infections in the stomach, bowel, lungs, skin, and female reproductive organs.
Piperacillin and tazobactam together are a type of medicine that fights infections. They are part of the penicillin and beta-lactamase inhibitor group. It kills the germs and stops them from growing. This medicine does not work for colds, flu, or other viruses.
This medicine should only be taken with your doctor’s help.
How To Use Piperacillin & Tazobactam Injection
- This medicine is injected into a vein by your doctor every 6 hours as told. It should be put into the body slowly for at least 30 minutes. The amount you take depends on how you are feeling and how well you are improving. The amount of medicine for kids depends on how old they are and how much they weigh.
- If you are taking this medicine at home, make sure to ask your doctor how to prepare and use it. Before using, look at this product to see if there are any particles or if it has changed colour. If one of them is there, don’t use the liquid. Learn the proper way to put away and throw out medical items without harm.
- For the best results, take this antibiotic regularly at the same times each day. To help you remember, take this medicine at the same time every day.
- Keep taking this medicine for as long as the doctor says, even if you start feeling better. The infection could return if you stop taking the medication too soon.
- Inform your doctor if your condition continues or gets worse.
Benefits Of Piperacillin & Tazobactam Injection
Here are some good things about getting a piperacillin and tazobactam injection:
Broad-Spectrum Activity: Piperacillin/tazobactam can kill many different types of bacteria, both the kind that causes infections in the throat and the kind that causes infections in the stomach.
Good medicine for different sicknesses: Studies show that piperacillin/tazobactam helps treat infections in the lungs, abdomen, urinary tract, women’s reproductive system, and skin.
Combination Of Penicillin Antibiotic & Beta-Lactamase Inhibitor: Piperacillin is a type of penicillin that fights infections, and tazobactam helps it work better. Mixing the two things stops piperacillin from getting broken down by enzymes that some bacteria make. This makes piperacillin work better.
Treatment For Specific Conditions: Piperacillin and tazobactam injections can help with conditions like pelvic inflammatory disease, infection in the belly, pneumonia, skin infection, and sepsis.
Side Effects Of Piperacillin & Tazobactam Injection
- stomach pain
- mouth sores
- difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
Precautions Of Piperacillin & Tazobactam Injection
- Let your doctor and pharmacist know if you’re allergic to certain antibiotics, like cephalosporin antibiotics, penicillin, amoxicillin, or any other medications. Also, tell them if you’re allergic to any of the ingredients in the injection. Request a list of the ingredients from your pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist about any other medicines, vitamins, supplements, or herbal products you are using or plan to use. Make sure to tell your doctor if you are taking any of these: amikacin, gentamicin, or tobramycin as antibiotics; heparin or warfarin as blood thinners; methotrexate, probenecid, or vancomycin. Your doctor might have to adjust how much medicine you take or keep a close eye on you to watch for any problems with the medicine.
- Let your doctor know if you have had cystic fibrosis (a disease that affects breathing, digestion, and reproduction) or kidney disease.
- If you get pregnant while getting piperacillin and tazobactam injections, tell your doctor.
- If you are going to have surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist if you are getting piperacillin and tazobactam injections.