Clindamycin capsules are a type of medicine that has clindamycin, a substance that fights bacteria and is used to treat infections caused by bacteria. These capsules are made to be swallowed and are available in different strengths, usually from 75mg to 300mg per capsule.
Clindamycin is a type of medicine that stops bacteria from growing. This happens by getting in the way of making important proteins in bacteria, which stops them from multiplying and spreading.
Doctors often recommend these capsules to treat different types of infections. These can include infections in the skin, soft tissues, respiratory tract, bones, and joints. They are also effective against certain bacteria that are not killed by other antibiotics.
How To Use Clindamycin Capsules
Clindamycin capsules have a medicine that can help fight off certain types of bacteria that cause infections. These are the basic directions for taking Clindamycin capsules:
- Follow the instructions given by your healthcare provider when taking Clindamycin capsules.
- Take the pill with a lot of water, without breaking it. Do not squash, bite, or split the capsule.
- Take Clindamycin pills at the same time every day as instructed by your doctor. It is necessary to finish the entire treatment even if you begin to feel better.
- You can take Clindamycin capsules with or without food. But, if you take it with food it may lessen the chance of getting an upset stomach.
- Do not use antacids with aluminum or magnesium 2 hours before or after taking Clindamycin capsules. It might affect how your body absorbs the medication.
- If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, you can skip the missed dose and keep taking your medicine as usual according to your schedule.
Benefits of Clindamycin Capsules
Clindamycin capsules have medicine that fights against bacteria causing infections. Here are some advantages of using Clindamycin capsules:
- Clindamycin capsules work well in treating different types of bacterial infections, like infections in the skin and soft tissues, infections in the teeth and mouth, infections in the respiratory system, and infections in the bones and joints.
- Clindamycin capsules are usually easy for people to handle and are unlikely to cause many side effects.
- Clindamycin capsules come in various strengths, which helps doctors choose the right dose depending on how severe the infection is and the patient’s medical background.
- Clindamycin capsules can work against many different types of bacteria.
- Clindamycin capsules come in pill form, which makes them easy to give and keep.
Side Effects of Clindamycin Capsules
Here are some of the common side effects:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Dizziness or headache
- Skin rash or itching
Precautions of Clindamycin Capsules
Here are some things to remember when taking Clindamycin capsules:
- Clindamycin capsules are meant for bacterial infections, not for treating viral infections like the common cold or flu.
- Make sure to tell your doctor if you have any health problems or if you’re taking any other drugs.
- People who have had allergies to clindamycin or lincomycin should not take clindamycin capsules.
- Clindamycin capsules can react with certain medicines like erythromycin, calcium channel blockers, and neuromuscular blocking agents. Make sure to tell your doctor about all the medicines you are using before taking Clindamycin capsules.
- Clindamycin capsules can make you have loose stools, which could mean you have a new infection. If you have very bad diarrhea or see blood in your poop, tell your doctor right away.
- Clindamycin capsules can make it more likely for you to get infections that are resistant to antibiotics. It is important to finish all the medicine your doctor tells you to take.
- Clindamycin capsules can sometimes lead to a rare and serious problem called pseudomembranous colitis. If you have really bad diarrhea, stomach ache, or a fever, tell your doctor right away.